Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Zambia - Day 9

Since we got in last night at 2:00 am the day started a little late. We woke and ate lunch. We then headed off to the Misisi camp. The slums of Lusaka. What an interesting place to see. Kids playing in rivers of trash. Complete chaos on the layout of homes. We were told by our guide who helps kids of the area that there are 10,000 kids in the slum of a square mile or so who do not attend school of any kind. The est population is 40,000 in a sq mile.

To raise the spirits of the group we went to the cultural center where we could help spur the local economy. Every one had a great time buying and trading for times. I finally got rid of my softball shoes I have used for a few years. I was quite glad to see them go. I walked around the rest of time in my socks after I traded them for some cool items.

I wish I could record the sounds of the dogs carrying on here. It sounds like 200 dogs are down the street throwing an all nighter.

Tomorrow I teach the Lusaka teachers and admin staff on the computers. The same teachers we teach in the Misisi compound. Hoping what I teach can be retaught to the students in that place. The farmers are working on one more garden/small farm here that the locals will have to finish. Tomorrow night close to midnight we head for home. I really miss my three girls. I'll be there soon.

Sorry for a lack of pics recently. No Internet but I hope to have some wifi tomorrow.

- Ryan
























No comments: