Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Africa - Day 3

I have more pics from Ryan along with an email.  I will try my best to match the pictures with Ryan's descriptions.  All text in blue is Ryan's.

I did a lot more teaching today. Taught two more classes with both classes if they could come back tomorrow. In between the classes I played with the kids and ate lunch. After the second class I got a very interesting trip. The director of the area I was in wanted to know if I wanted to go for a tour...on the back of his motorcycle. Normally this sounds like a bad idea and I wasn't thrilled about it but it did sound interesting. I was going to have to wait and hour or so until everyone got back so I decided what the worst that could happen on the back of a cycle in a country with no roads or healthcare. Sorry hon. Well we never went faster than about 15 MPH and with sand roads it wouldn't have mattered if I fell off anyway so it turned out not to be a bad idea as it was a dirt bike.

He took me on the most amazing tour where I got some the best photos of the trip. First we went through the best of neighborhoods; think Indpls 25th and Keystone. Then we went past the market. Then he told me we were going into the bad neighborhood.  I was thinking that's where we just were right?  Ahhhh no. We went in into an area where the paths were barely big enough for the bike. Between people's homes, ah tents, ah poorly made fences with no roofs as houses. I have never seen such poverty.

I took a picture of a scene that can't get much worse. Little kids; with no supervision; no toys; filthy; playing on trash; that was on fire; next to a dog; with one eye. I'm sorry but my girls may never complain again.


I was called Makooa the whole time, their tribal language for white person. We went by a mound of dirt with a small bamboo looking fence around part of it and my driver tells me it is the neighborhood bathroom. These shacks are no bigger than  our laundry room. Trash covered at least a quarter of the ground in there as well.  I have been told what i will see next week in Lusaka will be worse. 



After being happy I made it out alive, I never felt threatened in any way, we went to the flood plain where you could see for miles. Beautiful. Right as the sun was setting.


 I took a picture that might be a favorite so far of a backyard of a family with kids in the nicer section. It has a tires swing and I got the sun to hit it just right and the picture looks amazing.



 I also got a picture of the house we are staying in. Very nice compared to the rest around here.



The kids in this picture are holding up a sign that says "Thank Your Flagles."  This is in appreciation for the lemondade stand that helped raise enough money to buy several school supplies for the kids at kidsalive.  Thanks so much to them for their generosity!



 Funny Ryan Story:
Going through the slum there were four guys standing by there shack and they waved at the driver to stop. They wanted to meet this crazy white guy riding through their neighborhood. The look at at me, I was a bit nervous, and raised up their fist and said "One Love". My comment back was "Bob Marley". They cheered with happiness. We rode off to the applause. Amazing that was their only comment in the worst neighborhood I have ever seen. Not the least bit threatening. As we were leaving I mentioned my surprise and my driver said " Zambians are known for being nice people"

No comments: