Monday, June 18, 2012

Ryan's Africa Trip

I know I haven't finished posting all my pics from Israel, but I started getting pics from Ryan's trip and didn't want to get too far behind.  So, here are some of the pictures I have from Ryan's trip to Zambia so far.  I don't have a description to go with them, but I included an email I received from him earlier describing his experience so far.










 I spent my whole day teaching computer classes. These people are so excited for what I am teaching them. They told me that computers are too expensive so they haven't been able to learn in the past. With some of the leaders of the organization I am teaching excel to help with budget management and such. The others I have to teach what a trackpad and mouse are. The whole concept is foreign to them. Try explaining what a file is to a person who doesn't know what the word file means. Tricky. These people keep asking Can we come back tomorrow and learn more?  Apparently I will be teaching a lot this week. I came to build playgrounds but God had a different use for me. The look of excitement on their faces when I am showing them stuff is priceless. 

Last night around 3 in the morning I swear there was a dog and a chicken fighting somewhere close. Quite the sound.

All the stuff you see on TV for stereotypical Africa is true. These people have nothing and praise God for everything. It is truly amazing. I have seen 3 kids with shoes since we have been here and I have seen hundreds of kids. Oh yeah and when I  am in town you would swear I was a unicorn or had legs coming out of my head with the way people look at me. It can be a little scary but the kids just want to touch you. Not sure about the adults, they just stare. Stare with no regard to staring. Everytime you stop the car for gas or a break people come from all around to check you out or try to sell you bananas. Lots of bananas. I lived off of bananas for the first day and a half here because I didn't want to eat anything else cause I felt bad.   





More stories to come

Love you all.

Ryan


1 comment:

the moose said...

Just wait until you do your Wiggles routine for the kids. You'll be a legend!